Reality Therapy Workshop
Iowa Park, TX, 21 February 2020
“What is real?” is a better approach that “What is true?”
- 2 Kings 6:15-17 Faith opens our eyes to what is real.
- James 4:14 Faith closes our eyes to what is not real.
- John 3:2, 7, 8, 12 Believing real-world events precedes believing in the spiritual world.
How did Jesus build faith in his disciples? How do you? Romans 10:17
How do you strengthen disciples against losing their faith?
- Eph. 6:16 Above all, taking the shield of faith…
Can you win a sword fight without a shield? a football game without a defensive team?
What are the flaming/fiery darts?
- Gen. 3:1, 4 questioning God’s word
- Matt 4:3, 6 “if you are the Son of God
What are today’s fiery darts?
- “The Bible was written by men”
- “God doesn’t have the right to judge”
- “everything is relative”
- “archaeology doesn’t support the Old Testament”
2. What is Faith?
Faith is a spiritual outlook for which we are partly responsible.
Faith is trust or confidence in desperate circumstances.
Faith is the GIFT of God. Eph. 2:8.
- Did you ever resist believing
Faith is a WORK. John 6:29.
We work together WITH GOD to build faith. I Cor. 3:9. Be pro-active in building a shield of faith.
We can LOSE our faith. I Timothy 4:1
- I Timothy 6:10 some wandered from the faith because of money
- II Timothy 2:18 some erred over doctrine
START by trusting God in Little things. Luke 5:1-9: nevertheless at they word I will let down the net.
- When was the last time you trusted God for something little?
Then trust God in ALL THINGS. Acts 10:9-16 Peter had never gone against his conscience before.
Be ready for something that has NEVER been done before.
- Name something in your life that you think is impossible for you.
3. Faith Facts from History
History is today’s battle ground for a faith-based faith.
In the US, 87% believe in God but only 40% in creation. 55% believe in evolution.
- we are more polarized than ever over supernatural vs. materialistic history
Charles Templeton went to Princeton and became an atheist:
“But Billy [Graham], it’s simply not possible any longer to believe, for instance, the biblical account of creation. The world was not created over a period of days a few thousand years ago; it has evolved over millions of years. It’s not a matter of speculation; it’s a demonstrable fact.”
What is going on? 2 Peter 3:5-7: they are willingly ignorant of a supernatural creation, Flood, Exodus, even the existence of the nation of Israel.
There are four stretched-out timelines that we must deal with:
- the univers: 13.8 billion years ago
- life: 4.28 billion years ago
- man: 2.33 million years ago
- civilization: 11 thousand years ago
It all began with Joseph Scaliger (1606) not Darwin. Accepting Manetho over the Bible led to belief in a pre-Adamic race and prehistoric man.
God COMMANDS us to use history to strengthen our faith.
- Deut. 4:7,8 Has there ever been a nation like Israel and its God?
- Deut. 4: 32 Ask or investigate all of history to validate God’s works
- Deut. 6:6,7 Teach God’s works to your children lest we forget
4. Following God by Faith
My testimony is that I began over 50 years ago to believe that the Bible is true history and studying to support that claim. This I continued to do on the mission field in largely atheistic France.
7 years ago, I prayed for UCO.
Pat took me through Experiencing God by Henry Blackaby.
3-4 years ago, I took classes in New Testament Humanities and Bronze Age Humanities.
I started this web site and blogs, especially on Old Testament history.
I retired a couple of years ago and began doing extensive reading.
Last September, I began writing on history before the time of Abraham. My goals have been
- to catalogue all the major archaeological sites
- to map them on Google Earth
- to identify the path of Noah and his children
- to resolve problems for DNA, animal & crop domestication, climate, ice ages, continental drift, languages, etc.
Daily, I listen for God to bring small truths to my mind during the night and make sure to write them down.
I believe we each have a vision and a calling. Are you looking for yours?
I’m looking for the impossible task that God wants me to do that I can’t do myself.
I would like to begin an “I Believe in Noah” movement.
- www.discovery.org about the complexity of life, avoids history
- PatternsOfEvidence.com The Exodus, Moses Controversy, Red Sea Miracle
- IsGenesisHistory.com Del Tacket, the Truth Project
- AnswersInGenesis.org Ken Ham, the Ark Exhibit
- ICR.org the Institute in Creation Research, Henry Morris III
- creation.com Creation Ministries International, Journal of Creation, search engine